denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrifter's thread: Levi's 501 (1960's-1990's)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 1:29pm
Yes they are

Nylon big e tab, l would say denim is pre-sulphur dyed, so before '74. In collector terms, the phrase route 66 is the underlined 6 on the back of the fly button which denotes 501's made from c.1971-1980/81. The other term route 66 is the fact that the jeans used the same dated pocket flasher and guarantee tickets from '66-81.

Nice find. Congrats.
Cassie View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 2:32pm
I'm not sure if I can post a question here, so please redirect me if I should be posting it somewhere else. 

I have a pair of 501 Levis that I bought in Minnesota in the late 1960s, which I wore on and off through 2005, but unfortunately can no longer wear.  I thought to sell them on EBAY and started to research what the price point should be, only to find out that there is a lot of interest in old Levis (and even in some kind of fake “old” Levis known as “LVC”).  I’ve spent a good deal of time on various web sites trying to understand how to accurately describe and price my 501s, but can’t seem to find any examples which accurately and totally fit them.  Specifically, I can find no mention of printed numbers on the back of the left pocket (which I now know to call the “pocket bag”).   The basic attributes of my 501s are as follows: back of top button = 4, no angle stitch (double row chain, I think), redline in selvedge, 501A, Big E (only on front side – unless the back side is just too worn out to see it?), single needle – not chain – stitch at top of back pockets, both “lemon” and “copper” colored stitching (at various points) and has the following numbers printed on the left pocket bag: “925  1[?]5”.   The question mark in brackets is because, while I think the number is a 1, I’m not entirely sure it is.  I have pictures and will try to figure out how to post them (any hints will be much appreciated).  I will really appreciate any help anyone can give me in figuring out how to price my old (and sadly relinquished, only because I can no longer fit into them) 501s!

Cassie
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
Hi Cassie, and welcome to DB. Photos are helpful especially in determining a price if you wish to sell on ebay etc. The measured size is also helpful (and tag size if readable).
1. Lvc are not fakes, this is a sub-brand of Levi's, which make reproductions of past models (1873-1984).
2. I mention printed pocket bags on the models 1966-70 - they were the first washing instructions, printed on the pocket bags before a wash-tag was introduced.
3. #4 on back of top button, double chain stitch waistband, Big E tab are further attributes of the 501 A,S,F model or the 501 'E' produced in the 1969-1971 era.
4. Help in posting photos can be found here -
        http://www.denimbro.com/how-to-post-pictures_topic913.html

Hope this helps.
Cassie View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:22am
Hello Dr Heech, and thank you for your reply to my post.  I'll add photos below.  The printing on the left pocket bag is not washing instructions, rather just numbers (which you can see in the photo) and the other pocket bag is blank.   The size printed on the tag on the back is still barely readable and says "W 28 L32".  Actual measurements are waist 27 inseam 27.5.  I have many more photos if there is anything in particular you would like to see, right now I'm going to shoot for photos that depict basic characteristics of my pair of 501s.

Cassie
Cassie View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:30am
Sorry about the oversize photo.  I was trying to delete & resize and the thing sent itself.   Will further resize all and resend.  I used the "Message Board" resize option on imgur.  Which resize option would be best?Unhappy
Cassie
Cassie View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 8:16am
DR Heech,

I think I may have figured out how to properly resize the photos, at least I hope so.  Again, the tag reads W28 L32 and they currently measure:  Waist  27" Inseam 27".  Please let me know if I should post any additional information.

Please let me know if I should post any additional photos or larger versions of any of the attached.

Thank you, Cassie
Cassie
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 8:21am
Sorry, l'm not a user of lmigur.
A photo of the pocket bag print would be of interest. They are definately 501 'A' model,'69-'71. Do they have an inside white wash-tag? (Should have - look down the leg outseam, visible from inside of the jean) - will have SF 207 on the back, see previous posts for examples.
If they dont have a wash tag then that print is the reason why

Edited by Dr_Heech - 27 Apr 2018 at 8:33am
Cassie View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:59pm
Thank you for getting back to me. 

The pocket bags are entirely blank on all sides except for the one set of printed numbers shown in the second photo of my last post (which is only on the side of the left pocket which faces into the inside of the denim). 

There is no wash-tag anywhere in the jeans and I don't recall any washing instructions coming with the jeans, but there may have been a paper tag somewhere on the outside of the jeans, which I would have just tossed in the trash because I followed the same "shrink to fit" process my friends and classmates did (wash in hot or warm water, spin dry until damp and wear them from damp until dry). 

I'll add a photo of the seams and another pocket photo in case that might help.

Again, thank you very much for your responses!

Cassie

Cassie
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 12:14am
Hi Cassie, not sure what the print actually signifies here, but in the earlier 'hidden rivet' models (say 1940's- late 1950's) there were often numbers with an 'x' in between, for example '25x321' which appeared on one pocket bag of the jeans. Nobody can answer why these numbers appeared or what their purpose was - but your pocket bag does look similar in that sense. Still it is a mystery.
All the other points I've made, #4 on top button and double chain stitch waistband in particular, gesture to your 501's being manufactured between 1969-1971.  Cant really elaborate further.
Thanks for posting Cassie.  Good luck with your sale!

Doc.

Edited by Dr_Heech - 22 Oct 2016 at 3:00am
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Cassie Cassie wrote:

There is no wash-tag anywhere in the jeans

Is that not the wash-tag the good dr. noted?
Left side of this^ photograph sticking out of the outseam.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
  Share Topic