denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandanas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bandanas
    Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 3:21pm
How do/did they use to make bandanas?   Did they bleach the design in the fabric?   Anyone know?
ThisSunday View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThisSunday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 6:33pm
^I'm curious about this to. I'm assuming discharge printing was used frequently
illumin8em View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote illumin8em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 2:05pm
a bleed through process?
Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 2:29pm
Isn't discharge printing a newer process? 

I think it would work today but not for the true white look of an old vintage bandana...

whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThisSunday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 3:49pm
Wiki says discharge printing was fashionable in the 19th century but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Joseph Hill View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joseph Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:07pm
Discharge printing is what Stifel used to make Wabash stripe (and many other patterns) of white on indigo.  The process is definitely old.  Many  modern bandanas seem to be screen print color (one or two tones) on white material.  I'm not sure what would have been typical on older examples.
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThisSunday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 5:16pm
I hope Christophe doesn't mind me posting this here but it seems appropriate

Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:36am
wow, that looked easy...  I guess he silk screened the image with the discharge ink then instead of an oven just ironed it... 

Azzaspec View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Azzaspec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:03pm
So I'm familiar with the Elephant Bandana Book (just ordered 1 & 2) by Kazuhiro Hirata of Kapital but am wondering if anyone out there knows of any good websites with valuable information on bandanas. Recently I've been hitting up a lot of the thrift/vintage stores in San Francisco and snatching up a bunch of Elephant Brand and Tiger Brand bandanas but honestly I don't know that much about them and would really like to learn more. Any insight?
Joseph Hill View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joseph Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 6:18pm
Never heard of them.  Are they vintage or modern?  I don't think I've ever seen a bandana associated with a particular brand (other than using the bandanna to advertise a brand).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic