Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shut That Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shut That Down
    Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 3:58pm
For complaints about the linguistic absurdities of modern life.

#1- enough with "reaching out", the western world's most recent entry into the catalog of sickening self glorification and pomposity. Just because you have to "ask" someone something or "talk" to them doesn't mean you are undertaking the epic, spiritually fraught journey of a child reaching out to the universe for knowledge in a Prog Rock song.

Edited by mr randal - 05 Sep 2014 at 4:42pm
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:07pm
I agree, I just thought that was a typical American saying, which makes me cringe in the same way as "My bad" and about a gazillion others, which I try to ignore (but frequenting forums full of Americans, you can't escape from). I don't have anything against Americans, I just don't like some of the parlance but that's because I'm a cocknee Lun-dun-ah!!!
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spork141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:24pm
Damn. I like to think of myself as a pretty smart guy but I have no idea what this is referring too. I'd love to be educated though. Can you help me out here? My bad for being so dense. Er i.. mean...sorry
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:25pm
"Portfolio Piece"
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:46pm
Spork- the first post has been amended slightly to clarify. This is a thread for complaint about overused buzz-words or -phrases which replace existing, perfectly good words to make ordinary pursuits or actions sound more important or "authentic"; euphemistic obfuscations; ubiquitous canned responses; or obsequious new manufactured designations of various sordid sorts.
Not (tsk, Maynard-San) for singling out specific persons or cultures.

Example: using "shirting" to mean "shirts", which it does not.

Edited by mr randal - 05 Sep 2014 at 5:03pm
rotten03 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rotten03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:58pm
I'm glad people have mostly stopped saying "irregardless." But people haven't slowed down on the overuse of "literally." It drives me insane, everything is LITERALLY the best <blank> someone has ever had.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:59pm
In San Francisco, over the last couple of years this has happened:
In most restaurants when your server comes to check on you after your food has been delivered, about 90% of the time will say "How's everything tasting for you?"

rayw44 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:03pm
"Because of the fact that" Just say because.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:18pm
"Sales Associate"

spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spork141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:59pm
here you go gentlemen. Enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
  Share Topic