Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grooming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:35am
I purchased 5 of these old Belmont Barbers chairs from a closing down village barbers shop around 10 years ago.
I did not really have anywhere to store them and the protests from my wife got even more vocal after one of them spewed hydraulic oil all over the floor.
This one was the best of the bunch, Working condition but sadly no head rests.

All the others had tears in the leatherette that had been repaired with Duck tape.
I paid £100 for the lot on a passing whim and sold them for £100-£200 each on a well known auction site.

hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 8:56am

Does this hair work on a normal human, or will it look silly on someone who isn't model-attractive?

I make things out of leather.
Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:19am
^^^first it can only be worn that way with blue velvet sport coats.   So if you have one, you can wear it.

You can achieve the same look by not washing your hair for at least two weeks.
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:32am
Hah, I knew I kept that blue velvet sport coat around for a reason :P
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

Does this hair work on a normal human, or will it look silly on someone who isn't model-attractive?

I think that would look good on you, but it would require a hair dryer every day to get it looking that full. Not washing or blow drying can approximate that but flatter and not as dry looking. What most people would call greasy, though I guess it's natural oils in your hair.
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:59am
It seems like modelface and I have similar hair texture, and my hair is naturally pretty greasy.  I've never used product on my hair of any kind unless it was for a costume.  

I think I'll give it a shot, see what the guys at Heimies can do with that photo and my head.  If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll join you and Mike in SF for something new, since this cut would leave me with quite a bit to work with still.
flatpattern View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatpattern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:24pm
I think it would be a good cut for you. It seems to be your aesthetic and hair type as well.   Go for it.
indigoeagle View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indigoeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:49pm

In your recent fit pic with your Lofgren boots you were sporting already a similar style with longer hair. It fits you very well, I think.

Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

I've never used product on my hair of any kind unless it was for a costume.  

You're not meaning 'no poo' here, do you?

I like that theory and tried no poo for about two months, only washing with egg yolk and a water, cider mixture. But it didn't work for me. My hair became to greasy. 
But there are people who've got good results with it.

I like the philosophy. WIth normal shampoo one is taking of the oil of the scalp, leaving it very dry. The body then has to produce it all anew, and apparently tends to overproduce.

I'm using shampoo only once a week, washing of course more often, nearly every day with just warm water. This works. And with the shampoo I'm avoid any containing Sodium Laureth Sulphate. There are some with Coco Glucoside which is supposed to be milder.

hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:56pm
No, I do use shampoo when my hair is more than a few inches long.  I do fine without when it's short though, but once it gets longer it gets too greasy too quickly.

Thanks for the encouragement dudes, I've been in indecision-land for way too long.
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:23pm
Go for it. Good look. Still pretty long, so no risk really.

Hard part will be getting it to look anything like the photo. I find these models hair shots to be pretty non-reproducible. As noted above, blow drying. And probably some hard wax too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic