denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LVC analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Nonriveted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
posted for Sansome...text to follow

Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 7:49pm
BEAUTIFUL, Non-Riveted I do believe you've made my day.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 8:58pm
So here are the details you would expect to see on a 1873 pair of Levi's....small unriveted cinch straps...unbranded rivets (we have physical evidence that Levi used unbranded rivets in the beginning ) Large watch pocket on the waistband....No arcs on the back pocket...small center patch....Duck or denim pocket bags...Hand sewn button holes....selvage waistband...A 1870's crotch stitch, jeans of the old westhave a few examples...hand sewn buttons...single needle yolk...I was told the technical term for the seam that runs up the middle of the rear? This pant above has a single needle stitch on the rear middle seam( I've only seen this single needle rear seam one other time) I think that's about it, maybe when I get on a computer screen to read this- I'll see something I missed

Edited by Sansome - 18 Nov 2012 at 11:03pm
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

Call each other names!?!  Come on Randy, we're far too mature on this board for that malarky. 
I like that pair anyway.  Compared to the earlier, Valencia St versions.  The arcuate is definately more representitive of those early models for a start (also the originals only has three fly buttons, not four I believe).  I think overall, the 1873 model has improved gradually over the years  

Here's a pair from 1998, notice the shallower arc.

I have a piece of Levi from what looks to me to be one of the first arcs put on- its shallow like this one^^^^
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:14am
That really points out how the LVC denim 1873 differs from an actual 1873 pant.

The yoke is the patch of material in the back below the waist band that is added in to improve the fit, making the ass of the pants rounder and more 3-d. The yoke seam is the horizontal(ish) seams that run from the side seam down to the rear rise seam on each side.

Taking them in the order in which LVC dates their reprod, next ill post the 1873 duck pants, followed by the 1873 duck jacket & vest, then the 1874 duck jacket. Unless anyone can suggest a better order?
Sardine View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 11:17am
mr randal..thanks for this thread, I'm new to this (selvedge denim) and am finding this very informative. 
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:35pm
Sansome's computer has died, so he is having trouble posting images. I'm posting some things he sent me today with his comentary. These images relate to comparing the details of c. 1873 Levi's pants and the LVC 1873 repro.

I'm not sure what the far left duck pant is, but starting with the second one in from the left- "1873 watch pocket, then a 1873-74 watch pocket, far right watch pocket from early 1891."
 The LVC 1873 pant, modeled after a archived c.1890 pant, does not have the correct small coin pocket riveted up on the waist band.

1873 crotch stitch (right) and 1891 crotch stitch (left). The LVC 1873 has the later stitching, where the stitching does not go under the rivet, as in the earlier pant.

1873 cinch strap (above) and 1891 cinch strap (below). The LVC 1873 has the later detailing with larger cinch base and rivet.

There are some more details Sansome sent me, but the gist is that the details of the LVC 1873 match that of a Levi pant from around 1890, as Sansome said earlier.

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Sardine Sardine wrote:

mr randal..thanks for this thread, I'm new to this (selvedge denim) and am finding this very informative. 

You're entirely welcome.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:39pm
Additionally, it makes me very sad that LVC has held off on reproing Mike's 1873 pant, pictured above. They already had the prototype made out of a nice, newly developed 2 x 1 denim.
 So close!
 Maybe next year?
Cinch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:43pm
Great thread guys. Thanks for adding all of your research.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic