denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrifter's thread: Levi's 501 (1960's-1990's)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
Author
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacciatoreDiDroga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 11:48am
"- ‘PATENTEDINUS’
- ‘CareInstructions’
- All those different things written above the ‘501’ on a single line
- The ‘501’ font"

Thanks guys for replies. Yeah these were my hunch too as well as weird fonts on other text too, but then again, one page back on this thread there's a seemingly legit old pair with 'careinstructions' and not too long ago there was another pair with a non-standard font for 501. Had to come here to make sure... unwashed vintage 501's appear maybe once or twice a year where I live. 

And to mr.Vox I think it is outrageous that a retailer has sold fakes to you, maybe the same thing has happened to this seller.
mr.Vox View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.Vox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by spacciatoreDiDroga spacciatoreDiDroga wrote:

And to mr.Vox I think it is outrageous that a retailer has sold fakes to you, maybe the same thing has happened to this seller.

I found out after a month. Something was going wrong when ironing. Bad cut and suddenly one day the top button popped out. This has never happened again. So then I started scrutinizing the garments.
shiba View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 11:14pm
In Japan in the 1980s, it seems that 501 had a card called "Levi's Promise". The location and number of the factory are listed there. For example, 524 El Paso, 532 Knoxville ..... Did you have this card in America?

Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 1:32pm
That’s interesting ^^^
Cant say I was ever paying attention, but
It would seem like an overseas kind of thing?
Something to let you know that you weren’t buying
A counterfeit?
shiba View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 6:36pm
It is listed in English, so is it for the US?
Five photos I've found so far in Japan.
I don't have any photos, but I heard that there was also a 501Albuquerque.

Edited by shiba - 23 May 2021 at 7:18pm
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:23pm
Ha- it’s in English, there’s that.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:39pm
Maybe it was short lived, something in the second half of the 80’s- when Thai fakes seemed to be a big problem?
shiba View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:08pm
I see. Thanks to Thai fakes problem, I was able to find out some of the buttonstamps' factory numbers.
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Thank you for sharing Shiba. I have always been a "button code nerd" and tried to figure out the exact manufacturing location of the items that I have found in thrift stores. Recently I have found two 70505 jackets with very difficult to read button codes of either 528 or 529? 

I also have a similar 70505 jacket with very clearly stamped two digit code 52. This one has a blank red tab. 
Too much Denim - too little time...
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:02pm
I learned 6 months ago- every 1,000 jackets or pants have a blank red tab…So it’s always kind of rare to get a blank red tab.
If I had to guess, out of the roughly 600 vintage Levi’s I have- about 70-80 have blank tabs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
  Share Topic