Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tech Fabrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech Fabrics
    Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 1:51pm
Living t'uther side o'pennines i see more than my fair share of wet weather, over the years on my quest to stay dry out in the elements i have had a fair few tech fabrics, im not talking about looking good here im talking about staying dry.

With manufactures all too eager to boast about the waterproof qualities of their newly rehashed materiel and more ® andthan you can shake a stick at, it can all get a bit confusing...?

So as we drag Denimbro kicking and screaming into the latter end of the 20th century, i will ask? be it coated or membrane, from Mackintosh to Gore to Ventile lets hear your experiences of these wonder materials?
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 1:54pm
Having given away/sold/trashed many waterproofs over the years im down to just two, a 20something year old Paramo smock in their own directional/moisture management fabric and this a 3-ply gore pro-shell from Mountain Equipment also more than a decade old, a long way away from that crunchy cardboard-cutout gore of the 80,s and still a long way off the sub-100gram articulated hydroshell pop-overs we see today.

The Jerry View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:23pm
As someone growing up in a rainy german town I've had my fair share of rain jackets. Apart from tried and tested classics such as Barbour I always added a Nikwax soak to any of my cotton or nylon jackets. As a matter of fact I soaked my ww2 foul weather jacket in it and that thing was 110% rain proof afterwards.

hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:29pm
I was thinking of starting a similar thread, as I now live in a climate with rainy winters, I need to get a "serious" rain jacket.

By "serious" I mean actually waterproof, with no functional concessions to old-timey charm (waxed canvas/tin cloth).  I've been looking at rubberized cotton from Stutterheim:

And Gore-Tex from Nanamica, who seems to make some of the only non-hideous Gore-Tex garments available:

I'm curious about Ventile, but skeptical that it's really water "proof".

Any other suggestions welcome.

I make things out of leather.
shredwin_206 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shredwin_206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:43pm
Hollows it might be a little more technical than what you're after. But I love the jackets from Outdoor Research in Seattle. I tend to just wear my Filson Double Logger but breathability is absolue S***! haha
-Edwin

A_See View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_See Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:02pm
Check out Mission Workshop. They're an SF based company. They are cycling focused and most their clothing is tailored a bit trimmer than a lot of the outdoor specific companies, which I like. I'm a fan of the Schoeller C_Change fabric they use in their outerwear.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:57pm
Footwear-wise I've recently switched from my usual rubber Boggs to some goretex Keens. I tried for years to incorporate more heritagey options, but was worn down by their weight, generaly stiff uppers and inflexible soles.

I have to say the goretex hikers have made my work life a lot more pleasant, though I do now have a tendency to stand in low shrubs or braken if I sense I'm getting a denim perusal.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:24pm
My RMC M-65 has also had the Nikwax treatment, it doesn't make it waterproof by any stretch but it does make it a lot more wearable in the wet.

Your lucky hollows, it rains all year round here, often sideways!
I would avoid ruberised cotton it doesn't breathe, you will sweat like crazy and get cold even from a brisk stroll.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:20am
My only objection to modern waterproof jackets is they are often too damn good, being a vertical surface the rain water runs straight down to your thighs and being a denim nut i always go hiking in jeans meaning i spent a lot of time with cold, clinging wet thighs. I can't bear to buy gore trousers so being the inventive type im working on a flexible circular guttering system (like a moat) that secures around the hem of the jacket with a drainpipe down each leg allowing the water to flow freely away keeping ones jeans perfectly dry....  Who wants to invest in my kickstarter?

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 23 Aug 2016 at 1:31am
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:22am
Sounds like a sure thing ..... maybe give Dragons Den a shout ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic