denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LEROY STRAUSS *TOP TOP ELITE* WORLD TOUR.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 92>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:37pm
Looking good b. They def fit you well.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:36pm
Historically speaking, workers couldn't afford an arse in the late 1800's
I'll endorse anything for cash
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:04pm
I seem to have lost some since last year!
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

Historically speaking, workers couldn't afford an arse in the late 1800's
Hence the aphorism ‘I worked my arse off [today, whenever]’
I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:19pm
This weekend there was a Heritage Open Day weekend in Preston, where loads of interesting buildings which aren't usually open to the public are... open to the public, so we had a look round a few of them.

First place we went to look at was the 'bubble schoolroom' at Kennington Primary School - this was built to an experimental modular design by Lancashire County Council's own architects in 1972: prefabricated reinforced plastic sections set into a concrete base. 

The plan had been to build entire schools in this way, but the oil crisis of 1974 pushed up the price of plastic to the point where it was too expensive to use as a building material, and only one single schoolroom was ever build, bolted onto the side of a much less interesting victorian primary - a monument to a cancelled vision of the future.

Next we went to visit the Jeremiah Horrocks Observatory in the middle of a nearby park - Jeremiah Horrocks was a 17th century local astronomer, who first predicted (and then observed) the transit of Venus across the sun, an astronomical event which happens twice over an 8 year period, then not for another century or so: the last transit of venus was in 2012, and before that in 2004 - the next two are in 2117 and 2125. At the 2012 transit I was involved in a very enjoyable event involving NASA beaming footage into the church in Much Hoole (the village outside Preston where Horrocks lived and observed), accompanied by a brass band and a specially brewed ale...

The Horrocks Observatory was the observatory used by the university until light pollution from the city forced them to move out into the countryside - now it is rarely open so it was the first chance I've had to have a look.

This is the telescope - the same one that was installed in the observatory when it was built in the 1920s, an 8-inch refracting telescope from 1860. 

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Excellent killer, that plastic schoolroom looks like it’s part of a set for Dr Who!

I wonder if Venus was passing across the sun when ol’ Leroy was making those jeans back in the 1890s...?
Helixing my inner beanie
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:26pm
1874 and 1882 were the previous set, so a little out unfortunately.
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21am
The next day we went to visit the city waste depot: I had absolutely no idea this was here, a large complex of handsome Victorian buildings, which retain many of their original features, mostly I expect through neglect.

My assistant here demonstrates how the yard in front of the stable would have appeared when the rubbish carts were all assembled to go out collecting waste

inside, the stable stalls are now used to store the rotary brushes used by the street sweepers:

one stall is lined with a feed sack, although horses have not been kept there for the best part of a century

In the early 20th century, Preston had an innovative system which used the energy generated by burning the town's rubbish to power the local tram service. This is a photo of the site from 1904, showing the same buildings (and more or less the same view) as the first photo. The furnace chimney (called 'the destructor' is long gone)

Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:02am
Killer shots b
I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:05am
This is right up my street! exactly what i was imagining for the neighbourhoods thread, alas it wasn't to be. Your glamorous assistant looks somewhat reluctant tho LOL

We're in the process of removing the 1960's tat from our house and restoring some Victorian working class 'grandeur' so im drooling over all things red brick nowadays.

Keep it up!
I'll endorse anything for cash
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 92>
  Share Topic