denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waxed Jackets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote indigo_eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waxed Jackets
    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:04pm
I find waxed jackets very interesting.
They're all natural, have a long history and there are many different kinds.
They also age nicely.

What waxed jacket(s) do you own or are looking at?

I own this Cabourn/Filson Work Cape Jacket.
It is made of a heavier wax canvas (16oz) and 20oz wool.
It fits quite large. The M fits me well, a little snug.
These pics are from Context

A number of makers use fabrics from Millerain, some from Scottish Halley Stevenson and most from the US use Martinex.
I'm not sure, whether there are any differences in the products they supply.

Freewheelers has made a number of interesting jackets of the heavier waxed fabric by Millerain.

A classic Motorcycle waxed jacket is of course the Barbour International, which has inspired many other brands.

Most waxed motor cycle jackets are made from 6oz fabric, it seems.

I quite like the version from Taylor Stitch, which they call the Rover Jacket from 6.25oz waxed canvas.

There are also a number of parkas, of course.
Outstanding for me are the ones by Manifattura Ceccarelli (who used to make Filson Europe) and the one by Monitaly.
These are the fisherman parkas. They come in different versions, often wool lined or with downs.
The fabric is very nice. I think, it's by Halley Stevensons.

This is the mountain parka from Monitaly. I think, the brown fabric is from Martinex, the green ones are old army tents.

I recently got this lined one by Rogue Territory and Stag Provisions. Unfortunately it was too small for me.

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:47pm
Very nice indigo eagle, here’s a picture of the hardware on my Trophy Reservoir Hood waxed jacket I posted on another thread.
Helixing my inner beanie
BlueTrain View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlueTrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:30pm
Since you asked, I have two Filson waxed jackets, although I think they call it an oil finish. But they come with a little can of wax for refinishing, so it could be said that it's a wax finish.

The older jacket of the two I own is a cover cloth field jacket, a very useful garment that is flexible and roomy enough to wear something thick underneath. Mine is starting to fray at the cuffs.

The other is a tin cloth cruiser. Really tough material but really no better than a canvas work jacket, to be honest. Mine is a year and half old and is still stiff and the stiffness makes it seem smaller than it really is. The pockets are useful and will hold more than they look like they would. The field jacket is the more practical of the two but clearly will not wear as well. Both cut the wind very well. Hoods are available but I don't have one.
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:01pm
Great topic

Here's the Millerain website

Really nice fabric, there's something very tactile about waxed products that's lost in Gore-Tex and the like (despite that Gore-Tex outperforms waxed cloth in every other way)

Here's some older pictures of my FW Red Wood

I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
Waxing is such an old but tried and tested method - there's quite a few manufacturers around

I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
shredwin_206 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote shredwin_206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 5:53pm

I swear by Filson. Plus you can’t beat the lifetime warranty.
Sending mine in for repairs soon
likeacannon View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeacannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:01pm
Incredible Shredwin. I have the same jacket (although mine is unlined) and have had it for about 4 years, but it doesn't look half as good as yours. I'll post pics of my three waxed jackets tomorrow. 
bartlebyyphonics View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartlebyyphonics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:08am
great thread start:
nothing fancy here, a country style barbour (perfect for keeping rain off upper thigh... and for massive pocket sizes)
as duke mentions waxed fabric is outperformed by modern fabric (with it too heavy for light showers / spring weather, not warm enough for the real chills) yet has the solid sense of wearing a mobile tent against the blusters...
some old pix

killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 2:20am
I have a few: this is my go-to lightweight jacket atm, a Millerain bomber by Private White:

Then there's this parka, from Common People when they still made stuff in the UK (the cloth is Halley Stevenson)

And this is my current outward bounds jacket, a windcheater by Nigel Cabourn for Karrimor (it doesn't say who made the cloth, but I suspect Millerain).

indigo_eagle View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indigo_eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 2:20am
Great pics.

Regarding Barbour- I think, their classic jackets like Bedale (shorter) and Beaufort (a bit longer) are still made in England. They're mostly waxed with Sylkoil wax.
They tend to look shiny, when they're new. But once they get older, they also seem to patina nicely.

To my eye the Martinex fabrics seems to look a bit lighter, not as dark as the Millerain ones.
Also the lighter weight fabrics (6oz and below) appear smoother than the heavier ones, which have a tougher surface.

Here is one from Fleurs de Bagne Made in France from Millerain fabric.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic