denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bitters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Mainwaring Mainwaring wrote:

80 proof produces a good ring. What whiskey for your preferred old fashioned? Or do you use whisky?

Traditionally Rye would be used for any old time US cocktail.

I like Michters but there are many good ones.
Foxy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Foxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:21pm
Right, 2-3 years back a couple of books showed up - I grabbed some as it seemed interesting to Perdue at one point in the future...

Anybody actually tried any of the receipts?
likeacannon View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote likeacannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Foxy Foxy wrote:

Jim Meehan is a fellow Portlander and a bud, and I've made quite a few of the recipes in his green book. I was just playing with the Tom&Jerry recipe he has in there and it was delicious, especially this time of year.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Mainwaring Mainwaring wrote:

80 proof produces a good ring. What whiskey for your preferred old fashioned? Or do you use whisky?

Main, it depends on the bitters and how fancy you’re feeling.

For a workaday old fashioned with a balanced bitters, Bulleit or Rittenhouse rye are solid.

For bitters that have a subtle flavor and also ones that have a very spicy note, a nice soft bourbon can be great- Four Roses single barrel with mole bitters, for instance, which are both subtle (around the herbal, oregano notes) and spicy at once.

Citrus bitters are interesting with scotch- try orange bitters and Ardbeg 10.

Mid range is the way to go I think- really old whiskey’s complexity is usually lost in a mixed drink, no need to spend too much there.

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 2:45am
Foxy- I’ve made a number of recipes from the Brad Thomas parsons book. They can be good starting points.

Honestly though they seem a little unbalanced. The cherry hazelnut bitters for instance seem to me to have a lot of unnecessary ingredients and to be a little too on the higher, anisey end of the spice range.

All of his recipes I’ve used I chose to reduce the number of ingredients and rearrange the spice lineup.
Foxy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by likeacannon likeacannon wrote:

Originally posted by Foxy Foxy wrote:

Jim Meehan is a fellow Portlander and a bud, and I've made quite a few of the recipes in his green book. I was just playing with the Tom&Jerry recipe he has in there and it was delicious, especially this time of year.

The manual seems to be solidly balanced given the amount of input he’s used.
Foxy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:25am
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

Foxy- I’ve made a number of recipes from the Brad Thomas parsons book. They can be good starting points.

Honestly though they seem a little unbalanced. The cherry hazelnut bitters for instance seem to me to have a lot of unnecessary ingredients and to be a little too on the higher, anisey end of the spice range.

All of his recipes I’ve used I chose to reduce the number of ingredients and rearrange the spice lineup.

Thanks / off to some more reading...
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:19pm
Foxy, I can post one of my recipes if you’d be interested.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by shredwin_206 shredwin_206 wrote:

I’m an old fashioned fanatic. Would like to see your recipe!

Pretty standard recipe for me-

1/4oz simple syrup
1/8oz bitters, + or - depending on the batch strength
2oz whiskey

Stir

Pour over ice

Stir

Garnish as appropriate
Foxy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 2:34am
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

Foxy, I can post one of my recipes if you’d be interested.

Please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic