Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly Heard Birdsong during Lockdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly Heard Birdsong during Lockdown
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:13am
Now that those of us in urban environments are free to some extent of the background buzz of transport, industry and other man-made sounds, I’m sure we’re also freer to listen to nature’s own chorus. If you’re experiencing new, hitherto unheard avian aural sensations, please share with us on these very pages. Yesterday I believe I was regaled by the dulcet tones of a nightingale, resting leisurely in my back garden.
Helixing my inner beanie
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:51am
Funny you mention that, 3 days ago, and again today, I noticed bird chatter that I’m not familiar with.
My renter told me the Orioles are back on the property, I saw the bushtits out with their babies yesterday( made sure that our murderous farm cat was it the house) At any given time, especially this time of year, you can’t go 30 seconds without hearing bird chatter where I live, I witnessed 3 times... A Cooper’s hawk killing mockingbirds in our big oak tree, saw a crow slamming its beak into a dead rat, up in one of our pine tree’s last week....you might know by now, I’m a casual bird watcher, have been since I was young.....Never have I experienced living in a big city- the lack of noise must be pretty darn unusual for you.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:15am
Kinda grim. The other day I heard a shriek out in the field & looked out the window to see a raven taking a baby squirrel while the mother tried in vain to fight it off. I like the ravens (we see the same two of them every day) while squirrels are overly plentiful & often create a nuisance. This was sad though.
Mainwaring View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mainwaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:29am
The circle of life!
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:13am
anyone know the one that goes like

tweetweetweeTWEETWEEP and then a pause and QUARBLEQUARBLE?

I make things out of leather.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

anyone know the one that goes like

tweetweetweeTWEETWEEP and then a pause and QUARBLEQUARBLE?

Can’t say I do, I can imagine you having some species that I’m not familiar with, seeing how Oregon deep you are.
I’m going to do a little investigative reporting, I want to see if the English sparrows still live down at the donut shop, 10 miles from my place. English sparrows thrived at the old style McDonalds, they had Spanish style roofing tiles that made
It -the ideal nesting place for English sparrows....Here in the suburbs, the native California sparrow is king.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
I confuse the shit out of the male ring neck doves that live on my property, I can mimic 3 of their calls. No BS
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:06am
If they’re genuinely English, they will love doughnuts, McDonalds and the Spanish colonial style. They will probably chirp louder than the natives and attempt to impose their own culture and values rather than integrating with them. Having said that, those Californians probably like having things their own way and don’t take too kindly to outsiders in their habitat so it will be an interesting phenomenon to observe.
Helixing my inner beanie
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:26am
It was my fathers favorite donut shop, these little fuckers were so plump, they would fly onto the table and wait
For you to break off a piece for them- you or anyone else notice this at your fast food places? I’m assuming that
The English sparrow is from England, I’ll look into this after work.

Good one Maynard
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm

Just sirens

Just hearing sirens

We are safe after last nights naders, but 2o2o needs to chill...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic