denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 5:45am
^^ That sounds very very interesting. I need to check it out.

Currently I'm reading Murakami Haruki's "Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to, Kare no Junrei no Toshi" or Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. It's quite good so far. 

First time I've read one of his books in Japanese. Bit of a challenge for me. But I'm getting better at really enjoying Japanese lit by plowing through the kanji I'm not sure of, rather than obsessing over each sentence. 

Any Murakami fans out there? Ifyou haven't read his work I strongly suggest The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. 
Boise View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:54am
Just finished With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge.   Started  rereading Women by Bukowski
He's like a goddamn seagull.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:26am
^^I went through a Murakami phase back in 2008 after watching "A wild Sheep Chase"  Alan Yentob documentary for the BBC on the elusive Murakami.

It has become a bit cliched these days but since my teenage years i have read Kerouac's On the road cover to cover probably 20 times if i have an hour to spare i will read a couple of random chapters. I dont even know why anymore, I know it off by heart. I have well thumbed copies in the car, a copy at work and 2 at home?
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:05am
'Where Have You Been?' by Joseph O'Connor.
rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:59pm
I do love me some bukowski.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
Boise View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 7:40am
yep  Ham on Rye yum
He's like a goddamn seagull.
dustydenimdad View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydenimdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

^^I went through a Murakami phase back in 2008 after watching "A wild Sheep Chase"  Alan Yentob documentary for the BBC on the elusive Murakami.

It has become a bit cliched these days but since my teenage years i have read Kerouac's On the road cover to cover probably 20 times if i have an hour to spare i will read a couple of random chapters. I dont even know why anymore, I know it off by heart. I have well thumbed copies in the car, a copy at work and 2 at home?

On the Road is such a fun read. You can feel the ebb and flow of his energy level as he rushes manically through his life. You ever read the Dharma Bums or Big Sur?
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 9:55am
I have, Only once though, nothing like my On the road addiction. I used to read a lot of beat generation.
The pace of otr is down to Kerouacs amphetamine induced writing on one continuous roll of paper.
I would love to see the scroll in its entirety but living in the UK that probably wont happen.
rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
Did you purchase the new scroll version of the book?  Basically just as it was written.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:22am
Didn't know there was such a thing? Im not going to buy it Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic