denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bluebell's 'Wrangler' thread, originals and repros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bluebell's 'Wrangler' thread, originals and repros

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:06am
It looks like the tag features in Boon Vol4 mag (above) by Dr.Heech  - At bottom left....
eBay U.K Top-rated seller since 2006 - www.retrovintagelove.co..uk
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:00am
Will take some pics of that Boon jackets mag - not just for this thread, but for levi's and lee threads too.

Probably long overdue

Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
Here's some of what I've got -

Bluebell Wrangler jackets -

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
Good job, doc. Nice to see all those Bluebells.
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by rvlove rvlove wrote:

It looks like the tag features in Boon Vol4 mag (above) by Dr.Heech  - At bottom left....

Yes I believe your tag dates it to 1980 onward (?)
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:55am
Thank you for reviving the Blue Bell Thread!

I have this Japanese repro from early 2000's that is meant to be a 1947-48 model 11MJ. The difference to a 1949 Wrangler Blue Bell model is that the pleats are stitched with "levis like" rectangular boxes rather than those stiched balls that Wrangler has been using ever since.

Another difference is that this model does not have the "action back" elastics around the shoulder blades as the 1949 model does.

Additionally the tag says BlueBell's Wrangler rather than post-'49 "Wrangler" with the round BlueBell logo.

I have tried to make some research, but haven't been able to find anything conclusive whether this is a true historical repro or Japanese interpretation.

Too much Denim - too little time...
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:03am
^Your repro posted above seems accurate, there is an identical model in Paul T'S book ('cowboys to catwalks' p.65) and l have pic in that Boon magazine of another jacket, again identical.

I was never sure which type could be the earlier model, but maybe they switched from box pleats to dot-tacs, at a time when the matching 11MW pants lost the levi-esque arcs and got its' W stitching?

I've never really reasearched the brand's garment history in too much detail.

Nice jacket though!

Edited by Dr_Heech - 12 Feb 2017 at 9:52am
Majormajor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Majormajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:52am
Excellent stuff, Dr H. Those scans are very informative. Bigger ones would be even better!Smile

Nice to see all the MJZ models that we rarely, if ever, saw in the UK back in the 60's, when I was first buying Wrangler jackets.

I found this one, from around '72, a while ago... Note the asymmetrical stitched dots. which they all seemed to have to some degree.

Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:06am
 111MJ-esque repro by RRL.  Pretty accurate plus pleats.

Too much Denim - too little time...
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:50pm

^^Thanks Major, I wont be scanning anything from that book again as the last time it broke the spine, but feel free to ask for any specific highlights - I may have a chance to take some clearer snaps.

Wasn't born until '68 so I can just remember wearing Wrangler jeans in late '75/early '76 over in the States Smile

My jacket, Page one of this thread, has uneven dot-tacs on the pleats.

Don't be shy to post more pics of your Wrangler stuff here.

Edited by Dr_Heech - 12 Feb 2017 at 9:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic