denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herman survivor boots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herman survivor boots
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:00am
hi, eveybody, ...this is terry from london, just need some info please. 
So ive just scored some herman survivor boots at a good price from ebay. Im pretty sure their older ones,  unlike newer ones from walmart. Would put photos, but cant work it out! Anyway i think their usa made, but can see no stamp. They look like the classic 60s/70s shape like redwings, masons etc.  They have 10 eyelets that look like brass, some at the top are those speed eyelet things. On the inside tongue of right boot is a red sewn in herman label with picture of boot and it says= herman survivor boot.
Also on the outside of this right boot at the top, one side says insulated pre tested -20. The other side says herman survivor boot.  The soles have a badge that says vibram depose, montagnabloc, and it is a green colour rather than the more common yellow.
Would you all think they are likely to be american made, and quite old?
For instance, i dont even know whether the walmart ones had a vibram sole, and did they have the classic look to them? Thanks for any advice and snippets of info about this! Terry
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:28pm
Terry,
I don't claim to know anything about the brand but a quick search shows a few pairs on Etsy that you could compare yours to.http://www.etsy.com/market/herman_survivor_boot
https://www.etsy.com/market/herman_survivor_boot
Furyboy View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:33pm
hi, yeah thanks, i already saw those.  Their not like mine however! Terry
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:42pm
According to this page, the wording you've described was on the 1950s & 60s soles, and the yellow came in in 1969

Furyboy View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 1:07pm
hi killer.....i had seen that. Dont think mine are as old as 50s or 60s though. That article didnt show a picture of green coloured emblem on a sole. Ver nteresting though. Thanks, terry
rayw44 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:27pm
I think I know which label you are referring to. Unfortunately, that was put in use in the late 1980s after Herman acquired Santa Rosa. They may be from the 80s, but could be from deep into the 90s as well.

If you can post a pic of the tag and the writing inside, it would definitely help confirm.
drewkuz View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drewkuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 11:39am
i recently bought a pair of moctoe  with a "herman boot and shoe" logo on the insole.  they also have "insulated pretested -20" on the side.  the vibram logo seems to be the same color as the outsole (could have been different and the color wore off) and are labeled vibram depose montagnabloc.  

the ebay posting said they were from the 70's, but i don't know where they got that information.  i have also came across a pair on eBay that was also listed from the 70's that had the same "insulated pretested -20" on the side, but again, i don't know how they know this.   i wonder if that insulation indicator was only from a particular era.   

anyway, i'm pretty sure the shitty walmart herman's don't have vibram soles... as the soles would cost more than the boots.   my boots seem to be made very well and i expect that they will last me a long time.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic